Friday, June 23, 2006

Tour de Nez Stage 3

Like I said earlier, I didn't feel well at all this morning so I figured in the race today I would just go on a suicide mission and do what I could before I popped. So from the start I went to the front, covered a few breaks, attacked a couple of times, then Carter attacked and drove with Chris Wherry to the top of the first climb where he got some points for KOM. I got back to the front of the group at the base of the second climb and rotated on the front with a few guys and before we knew it we had created a break of 12. The break included myself, Carter, Wherry, Aaron Olson (Saunier Duval), a few Health Net guys, AC from Jelly Belly, and some misc guys. The gap started out at a minute then I went to the front and drove it for 25miles and got the gap up to 7 minutes. I attacked the break at the sprint point and got third in the sprint. I was fried and couldn't breathe very well from being sick so I fell of the group with a Health Net rider and abandoned the race a little over half way. My work at the front established the break enough to let Carter to finish off in third.

I still don't feel very well, so hopefully I can get better tonight. All that is left is another crit tomorrow night, then we will start to drive back. It suck to be at such an awesome race and not be at your full potential due to illness, but even at that I've proved myself in the road race today as a contender.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work Brian, way to hang in there and make something out of a tough situation.