Sunday, May 20, 2007

Tri-Peaks Stage 5

Last night our local Italian place was pretty busy so we had to wait around outside for a table. Blake demonstrates how tired we are by finding a prime piece of real estate to sit. All we need to do now is give him a sign and we can start making some money. After getting back to the hotel after the stages we normally took ice baths to try and keep the legs going. I had a book with me to read and keep my mind off the pain of the ice, but Blake had to use the reading material provided by the hotel.
Today's stage was fast, yet again. 72 miles, a few intermediate climbs then the final killer up Nebo of 3.5 miles of 18%. I seemed to finally get my legs back and was feeling good again and thought I would toss myself into the contention for the stage, but that didn't happen. With about 10 miles before the final climb a bad crash took about half the field down. Some idiot didn't keep it on the road and when he tried to save it he began to take down everyone around him and everyone else got caught behind the carnage. I joined a small group and was able to chase back on after a few miles, but it took the last bit of energy I was saving for the climb. I still finished around 15th or so, but not as well as I felt I could have before the crash. Unfortunately Blake actually went down in the carnage and came out of it with some war wounds and lost some time off the back.
I am just about all packed, going to try and get a spin in the morning, then finish packing and catch my flight back home at 2. It is definitely time to get out of here.

No comments: