Saturday, July 14, 2007

Cascade Classic Stages 3, 4, and 5

Well yesterday started off with the TT. 7.5 miles up hill, then 7.5 miles downhill. I followed the coach's orders of going only 80% and lost a few minutes but not too bad for a 15 mile TT. After that everyone was mentioning how it was harder than the Gila TT, and I would have to agree.

The crit was last night at 7. It was a curvy .7 mile loop and again I followed the marching orders of surfing and the back and conserving. It worked great until crashfest began. There had to be a total of 10 crashes and one on almost every corner. So the odds were against me when I came flying around the corner and was met by a pile of bikes in the corner in which I went into. I came out relatively un-marked but very sore. Then again later in the race I slid into a group but managed only to put a foot down. The officials decided to put me one lap down for some reason so that didn't make me too happy, when I actually finished with everyone on the same lap.

Today I woke up sore from the crash, especially in my hip, which isn't a good sign for the hardest day. On the start of the race and the first climb a rider cut in front of me making me stop pedaling and Baldwin was behind me not paying attention. He rammed his shifter into my thigh causing him to swerve and take out a few people behind him. That pissed him off and he took it out on me by flipping out on me. Cussing at me and hitting me in the ribs on the right side that was sore already from the crash in the crit. Some of the riders told him to back off since it really was his fault but he felt differently. He continued to cuss me out for quite a while. Once the pace picked up again my hip decided it was going to make my life miserable and unable to put the power to the pedals and I slipped off the back. So unfortunately, I am not able to finish the Cascade Classic, and I am not happy about it since I started out so well.
Tomorrow I will cruise a bit to try and loosen my hip up then head to Portland to catch my flight on Monday.

No comments: